December 15, 2022
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Now FREE for all Calhoun County, MI community members! To register for this session, go to the Eventbrite listing: http://SPCCC.eventbrite.com
About this event
Lunch & Learn QPR – 3rd Thursday of the month at 12 pm
It takes a COMMUNITY to prevent suicide. Most people who die by suicide have indicated their desire to die before taking their life. However, most of us do not know what to say or do in those times.
Because of this, the warning signs, subtle hints, and even overt cries for help often go unacknowledged and are met with silence, but WE CAN CHANGE THIS.
QPR teaches lifesaving skills, and it is the most widely taught Gatekeeper training in the world. Just as CPR prepares you for stepping in to assist with a cardiac emergency, QPR teaches the skills and knowledge to intervene to prevent suicide.
Gatekeepers can include anyone positioned to recognize and refer someone at risk of suicide (e.g., parents, friends, neighbors, co-workers, teachers, clergy, coaches, caseworkers, healthcare providers, emergency responders, and YOU).
The process follows three steps:
- QUESTION the person about suicide
- PERSUADE the person to seek and accept help
- REFER the person to appropriate resources
Gatekeepers will receive QPR materials and resources, including:
- QPR Booklet and Card (Printable and Mobile-version)
- Personalized QPR Gatekeeper certificate
- Digital copy of Dr. Quinnett’s book, Suicide: The Forever Decision
- Downloadable QPR role-play live practice package
- New interactive practice role-play for QPR over text message
- New interactive post-training self-assessment
- New interactive suicide warning signs recognition practice challenge
KEY COMPONENTS COVERED IN TRAINING:
- Learn the myths and facts about suicide
- Recognize the warning signs of suicide
- Know how to ask THE question
- Know how to offer hope
- Know how to get help and save a life
Sign up for a QPR class today; spread the word to your friends, family, and neighbors; and once you’ve taken QPR, share your knowledge with others, help plant the seeds of hope, and when you notice warning signs that someone might be thinking of suicide, use your skills to TAKE ACTION.
The SPCCC can also bring QPR to your workplace, organization, or community group for FREE, please contact Scott at email@example.com for more info.